Tuesday, January 8, 2013

36,453 BBY: Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi Force Storm

Dawn of the Jedi:

Happy New Year!!  I am finally able to start up Star Wars: Beginning to End.  It took a couple of weeks to obtain my copy of Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi but as soon as I got it I dove right in.  It didn't take very long to finish but I was having trouble on deciding how to start my first post.  Also I will be adding Wookiepedia links to different words in order to save time on explaining what they are.

Let me start out by saying that this graphic novel was amazing!  It was chalked full of information about how the Jedi first arrived on Tython and how the battle between the light and dark side of the force began.  I will start out with a brief summary of what this piece is about and some of the key points that I think are important then go straight to an analysis of one of the main characters.

The novel starts out with beings of different species being called to the Tho Yor by the Force.  These beings entered the Tho Yor and found enlightenment.  Instantly the Tho Yor took off and brought the beings to the planet Tython.  It was on Tython that the beings became known as the Je'daii (which I am assuming will later become what we know as the Jedi).  The novel describes the Je'daii as being heroic protectors to the worlds that were in the Tython system but it says that they also became "Mysterious, Even feared figures of legend".  This may be because of the incredible power that they posses through being wielders of the Force.  The main part of this story is three Je'daii (Shae Koda, Tasha, and Sek'Nos)  all receive visions through the Force that a great evil is coming to Tython.  This evil is in the form of a Force Hound named Xesh.  He brings with him so much evil and hatred that a massive Force storm brews on the surface of Tython.  The three Je'daii are called together to defeat Xesh and stop the Force Storm that is ripping Tython apart.  As Xesh lands on Tython he instantly is engaged in battle with three Je'daii.  He is badly wounded in the end but it was because he saved the three Je'daii from being killed by a monsterous beast.

This was a very well done graphic novel as I said before. I would like to look at the character of Sek'Nos.  The first thing that I found interesting was that he is a Sith.  Not like a Darth Vadar kind of Sith but the Sith species.  When we are first introduced to him, he is showing of his abilities to a group of Je'daii females.  At first I thought that it was nothing special but after some further thought I started to make some connections between what he was doing and what makes someone a Sith.  What made me stop to think about this was when Sek'Nos was creating a ball of force lightning to show to the group of Jed'daii.  That's when he saw the Force vision but what he and his grandmother talked about after stood out to me.  His grandmother warns him that Force lightning calls upon dark emotions only, nothing light.  She later questions him on why he always want to test the boundaries to satisfy his own pride.  But Sek'Nos treats it as if he did nothing wrong.  His grandmother goes on to say "You act without ever considering the repercussions".  The illustration in the novel shows Sek'Nos laughing down at his grandmother as she says this.  Maybe the Sith species were born to become evil.  I think that this shows that Sek'Nos is already down the path to the dark side of the Force because he is arrogant, he acts blindly, and he figured out how to create a ball of Force lightning by himself for crying out loud!

I would also like to briefly go over the character of Xesh and what I think of him.  Xesh has always known the dark side of the force, nothing else.  But when he saved the three Je'daii, it was because of a strange feeling that came to him as he watched them battle the beast.  I believe that this feeling was compassion for Shae Koda.  I believe this because as the battle progresses and it looks like the beast will win, Xesh starts to leave them to fight for themselves.  But he turns back and see's what they are trying to accomplish and he glimpses Shae Koda and I think he feels that he can't let them be killed.  This might be the start of Xesh coming over to the light side.  He's only known darkness his whole life, maybe he will find something in the light side that strongly appeals to him.  I look forward to finding out.     

I feel that these Star Wars history stories effectively bridge a gap that to me previously was unknown.  I found the artwork in this novel to be very appealing to the eye and I look forward to reading more Star Wars Graphic novels in the future.  The next piece I will be reading is Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force (Part Three: Dark Jedi).  Since this was my first post, I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on how I can improve in my writing or if I got something wrong please let me know and I'll take a look.

Until my next post, may the Force be with you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment