Saturday, July 6, 2013

4006 BBY: Knights of the Old Republic #33: Vindication

For this post I read a Knights of the Old Republic #33 pages 2-11.  However, for the purpose of saving time later in my blog I read the entire issue.  I tried finding a physical copy of this issue but unfortunately it's out of print and my local comic book shop wasn't able to hunt down a copy for me.  I resulted to downloading the Dark Horse app for my tablet and downloading it there.  I would still like to get a physical copy of this issue for my collection so if you know of a way for me to obtain one, please leave me a comment below.  Let's get started with this post.

The pages that I needed to read were basically a flashback of Haazen. Haazen is a failed Jedi Padawan who turned to the dark side.  This flashback takes place when Haazen is still a padawan.  It shows us what happened to Haazen to make him become a Sith.  Based on Haazen's actions, he comes across as clumsy and awkward.  When we first see Haazen he is trying to follow Dossa, a smuggler who sells weapons on the black market.  She easily catches on to Haazen following here and decides to confront him.  This is where I observed Haazen being clumsy and awkward.  As a Jedi (even a padawan) you should be able to follow someone for a long time without being detected by them.  Being detected so easily by a smuggler makes me wonder why Haazen is even a Jedi.  So after he was detected by Dossa, she attacked him and beat him up. She even stole his lightsaber.  As she was fleeing the scene, she blasted the piller that Haazen was under.  At this point I was thinking that an easy for shove by Haazen would stop this pillar.  But he didn't do that.  Instead he coward in fear under it as it fell.  But luckily Barrison (another Jedi padawan) was there to stop the crumbling pillar.    

They return back to a large house where the people there are getting ready for a Knighting ceremony.  Two of Haazen's fellow padwans that he trained along side were Knighted, but he wasn't.  This made him go into an Anakin Skywalker like rant about why he should be a Jedi Knight (even though Anakin was argueing about becoming a master) like his peers.  At the end of this flashback, Haazen is made Barrison's pilot so that he could continue to be around him.

Even though I didn't really know what was happening around the flashback in this issue of KOTOR,  I found it enjoyable to be able to see what Haazen started out as in the beginning and how he was slowly changed into the monster we see on the cover as the years past.  The story line by John Jackson-Miller was very good also.  I see now how easy it is for a Jedi to turn to the darkside.  All it could take is someone they know and care about being lost or something like what happened to Haazen.  That's why the Jedi are not supposed to hold any emotional attachments to things.  They must keep there emotions under control or else they open up the door to the darkside.

I'm really looking forward to reading more issue's of Knights of the Old Republic.  The next piece that I will be looking at is Tales of the Jedi: Ulec Qel-Droma and the Beats Wars of Onderon.  Until My next post, may the Force be with you.........

6 comments:

  1. You can get most of single issues of the KOTOR comic series at http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=608141. It may be more economical to try tracking down the various trade paperbacks that collect the series, but these are out of print, so you'd have to go to sites like ebay or amazon marketplace for some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Plaristes. I've been having trouble trying to track down some of my pieces lately. Right now I'm trying to find the Tales of the Jedi Companion. Anyways, thanks again for the website I will use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can almost always find copies of the Tales of the Jedi Companion on ebay, but it's hit or miss on whether they're affordable. Right now they're a bit pricey ($30 or so), but sometimes you can find an auction and win it for cheap (I got my copy for about $5 from an ebay auction).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Plaristes! I'll keep checking on Ebay. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember if we talked about including RPG material in your project (I think we did), but if you decide to include the RPG stuff then you are coming up to the Tales of the Jedi source book published by West End Games. I bring this up because there is a great narrative in that book on Freedon Nadd (pg 70) which I think compares nicely with Haazen. Haazen fails to realize that failure is part of growth, and quickly falls into the snares of the darkside. I remember him being a compelling villian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we did talk about me doing RPG material and I was going to do them. Right now I'm searching for a copy of Tales of the Jedi companion. I found a couple of copy's on ebay but haven't ordered one yet and I haven't had any time to report on the materials I've read.

    ReplyDelete